Science Faculty

“Science is a great game. It is inspiring and refreshing” – Isidor Rabi – Nobel Prize Winner 1944

The Science Department is housed in fifteen labs, two designated rooms and one ICT room with twenty-six full and part-time teaching staff (click here to view the full staff list).

Aims Of The Department

  • to stimulate student curiosity, interest and enjoyment in Science
  • to enable students to understand and use Science effectively
  • to develop an awareness in students of the implications of Science (past and present) for the individual, community and environment.

Science From September 2012

From September 2012 a new Science Curriculum has been introduced nationally.

St. Aidan’s students will study OCR, Gateway Science, Specification B. Students in Years 10 and 11 will study one of three options:

  • Science – worth one GCSE
  • Science and Additional Science – worth 2 GCSEs
  • Biology, Chemistry and Physics Separate Sciences – worth 3 GCSEs

The Science and Additional Science courses are made up of units of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

All of the above options are taught by 3 separate specialist teachers.

All of the above options contain 25% controlled assessment the remaining 75% comprises two exam papers in each Science taken at the end of Year 11.

Related Departments