Medical Needs & Information
Some pupils with long-term and complex medical conditions may require on-going support, medicines or care whilst at school to help them manage their condition and keep them well. St Aidan’s policy on Medical Conditions is available below.
- For pupils with moderate to severe asthma or moderate allergic reactions parents should download the appropriate care plan below and send the completed copy into school for attention of the nurse. Students with severe allergic reactions should already have an up-to-date care plan in place.
- For other long term or complex medical conditions please contact the nurse if you feel an Individual Healthcare Plan would be appropriate and the nurse has not yet been in contact with you this academic year. An Individual Healthcare Plan and care plans for specific medical conditions are available
If your child requires medication whilst at school – either to self-administer or for school to administer, these forms are available below.
- Medicines should only be administered at school when it would be detrimental to a child’s health or school attendance not to do so.
- Where clinically possible, medicines should be prescribed in dose frequencies which enable them to be taken outside school hours.
- School can only accept prescribed medicines that are in-date, labelled, provided in the original container as dispensed by a pharmacist and include instructions for administration, dosage and storage.
- Schools are now able to hold asthma inhalers for emergency use with parental written consent.
Emergency salbutamol inhalers in schools
The Government has issued new guidance on the use of emergency salbutamol inhalers in schools – the guidance can be found here. The emergency salbutamol inhaler should only be used by children, for whom written parental consent for use of the emergency inhaler has been given, who have either been diagnosed with asthma and prescribed an inhaler, or who have been prescribed an inhaler as reliever medication.
- The consent form can be found below. Please sign and return to the nurse, Mrs Powell in the medical room.