St Aidan’s achieved Eco School “Green Flag” status in May 2013, an award which recognises our many environmental achievements.
- Regular recycling
- Tree planting in Harrogate and Nidderdale with Harrogate Rotary and local Junior Schools
- Energy saving measures with “Switch Off” days and fortnight, plus raising awareness with switch off stickers around the school
- Assemblies to keep the school community informed about our aims and achievements
- Links with the wider community including meeting local politicians to discuss Eco issues such as the controversial Canadian Tar sands
- Regular news items in the school’s Causeway magazine
- Car Free days
- Fundraising activities promoting “upcycling” to enable new recycling bins to be bought. Another activity raised money for Harrogate Rotary to buy broadleaf trees to plant in Nidderdale
- Regular monitoring of the school’s energy usage with an on-line scheme “smeasure”
- Promoting safe cycling routes with the help of Deputy Head Mr Burt and Mr Malcolm Margolis from Harrogate “Wheel Easy”
- An award winning film produced and acted by the students, “The Young Environmentalist”
We always welcome new ideas and suggestions, so contact the Eco Committee at school if you have any thoughts you would like to pass on.