Textiles Technology KS4
KS4 – Fashion & Textiles Technical Award
Students about for this Technical Award in Fashion and Textiles in Year 10 will have the opportunity to develop the knowledge, skills and experience required within the industry and could potentially open the door to a career in fashion.
The course will provide students with skills in:
- Embellishing, shaping and joining fabrics for decorative and functional purposes.
- Applying fastenings and components and setting sleeves, collars and pockets in garments.
- Using a range of specialist equipment including CAD/CAM Embroidery Machine, Sublimation Printer, Laser Cutter, E-Textiles as well as traditional dyeing and printing methods
Students will be enabled to develop a high level of proficiency in these skills and many more. They will also develop an understanding of commercial processes and an in-depth knowledge of textiles based materials and their properties. Additionally, learners will gain transferable skills such as communication and teamwork that will benefit them in the workplace.
The assessment of the course is in three units:
- Unit 1: Skills demonstration worth 30% of overall qualification including undertaking a number of mini projects during which they are assessed against a number of practical skills.
- Unit 2: Extended making project worth 30% of overall qualification – In the second year students undertake an extended making project that showcases the skills they have developed in Unit 1, they are assessed on the quality and accuracy of a final manufactured product. They also produce a small portfolio to show evidence of planning, development and testing.
- Unit 3: A one-and-a-half-hour exam on the fundamentals of fashion and textiles worth 40% of overall qualification