Textiles Technology – KS3
Throughout KS3 students undertake a variety of creative and practical activities, designing and making functional textile products. They also:
- Identify and solve design problems as well as researching and developing communication of design ideas.
- Use specialist tools including Bernina sewing machines, sublimation printers, CAM embroidery, transfer printing, tie-dye, Batik and electronic components.
- Learn about a range of fibres, fabrics and materials.
Understand the environmental impact as designers and consumers and learn how to make sustainable choices.
Example projects include:
- A ‘Gadget Stand’ inspired by Henri Matisse
- Storage case linked to World Book Day
- Upcycled, screen printed cushion cover
- E-textiles lantern
- Cultural themed slipper boot or tote bag
- Festival style shorts and t-shirt set
Textiles club is also available to Year 7, 8 and 9 students who want to develop and practice their skills further. Recent projects include designing and making a choice of a cape, dress or shorts for charity projects and helping with school production costumes.