Mr J Wilson- Head of Physics and STEM Coordinator
Mr M Park- Head of Science
Mr S Crane
Mr P Edwards- Teacher in Charge of Geology
Dr L Holt- Head of Year
Mrs G Soper- Deputy Head
Mrs L Watson
Aims And Objectives
Through the study of Physics we aim to:
• stimulate enthusiasm and enjoyment in Physics
• encourage all students to reach their full potential in Physics, through interesting lessons, excellent support outside of class and consistent encouragement
• enable students to appreciate the importance of Physics outside of the class room, highlighting its role in developing new technologies and innovations
• develop the ability to collect and analyse scientific data critically, using the relevant graphical and numerical skills
• encourage problem solving and independent study through tasks set on a regular basis
• prepare students to study Physics at a higher level
The Physics department at St Aidan’s is a very popular and successful one. We aim to support the needs all of all students, stretching the most able, whilst nurturing those who find the subject more challenging. We achieve this through our “Open Door” policy which allows students to find us to ask for help whenever they need it.
At KS4 we follow the OCR Gateway Physics specification for Separate Science, as well as the OCR Gateway Combined Science for Dual Award students. At KS5 we teach the AQA Physics A-Level, with over 150 students in Years 12 and 13 enjoying considerable success every year.
The Physics department operates out of five laboratories, all of which are well equipped for all of the Key Stages. Every lab features a digital projector as well as access to computing facilities and iPads.