From November our year 9 students begin to work towards the OCR Gateway Biology GCSE, a thorough course with strong emphasis on practical skills and scientific thinking skills.
Key Practical activities include
- Microscopy and magnification calculations
- Identification of biological molecules
- Ecological sampling strategies and techniques
- Factors that affect enzyme activity
- Factors that affect photosynthesis rate
- The effect of exercise intensity on heart rate
- Antibiotic and antiseptic effectiveness
- Osmosis in different plant tissues
- Dissection of transport tissues and organs
Through these practical activities and follow-up work, students will be helped to improve their analytical, evaluative and mathematical skills.
Over the past 3 years, biology results have been outstanding, with value-added grades (as part of the science faculty) in the top 1% nationally. In terms of grades, 63% of students achieved A*/A, 99% achieved A*-C.