Further Education

Some students opt to continue into Further Education, to gain more vocational qualifications before applying to Higher Education

See UCAS for information on all Further Education Colleges and Courses locally and nationally.

Art Foundation Diplomas

If you are planning to study an Art and Design course at University, many courses will require you to complete a one-year Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. These are generally available at Colleges of Further Education. They are diagnostic courses and enable you to study a broad range of disciplines in art and design before specialising and preparing a portfolio of art and design relevant to what you want to study at Higher Education.

Foundation Diplomas do not attract the same funding as Higher Education courses but you may be eligible for EMA funding and accommodation and travel bursaries. You do not normally have to pay fees if you are 19 years of age and under when you start the course. You need to contact the Colleges who offer these courses locally and these are as follows:

Harrogate College

York College

Leeds College of Art and Design